Scented candles for the home can set the mood of a room, and provide a delightful ambiance. Fragrances are known to bring back long forgotten memories and influence our moods. While there are many reasons to use scented candles, there are some things you need to know. Below you will find ways to make your candles last longer and burn better. You will learn how to fix small problems with candles should they arise. You will learn how to properly and safely use candles. While learning the basics, you can expect much more enjoyment by knowing the facts.
Enjoy learning in Candles 101 and Happy burning!!!
How to care for your candle
If your flame becomes too large, you can have a potential fire. Snuff the candle by dipping the wick into the melted wax. (Use caution. If I have to tell you it’ll be hot, you probably shouldn’t own a candle… or scissors…or function alone at all.) If flame is too big to dip, dust with baking soda. The fragrances used to make a candle are oil based, and water will feed the fire, just like the oils in your kitchen. Nobody wants to relive Aunt Sue’s kitchen “accident”.
Debris not only looks bad, but can be a fire hazard. Blow that sucker out and let it cool for 10 minutes or so. Use a paper towel or toothpick to try and remove those little boogers. If they won’t cooperate, try to get them to the side of the container. Let candle cool completely then remove the debris. After wax is clear, you can relight.
If you see soot inside the container, remember to trim the wick before you relight the candle. Dancing flames cause soot, and means the wick is too tall. Soot won’t hurt anything, it just looks bad. You can use a moist paper towel to wipe out a completely cool candle container.
Tunneling will shorten the life of your candle. If your candle is doing this (please reference above photo) blow candle out. After 10 minutes or so, carefully use a spoon to scoop out some of the hangup (or unburned wax). You can relight immediately. You can use the rendered wax in your wax melter. If problem persists, you can set the candle on a wax melter plate and heat until fragrance has dissipated. Just because a candle doesn’t work correctly doesn’t mean it’s useless. You paid a lot of money for it, you should get as much life out of it as you can, right?
If you notice damage to any area around a candle, discontinue use. Chances are there is not enough wax left in the container to insulate it from transferring heat. This is user error. Never burn the last 1/4″ of wax fron any candle. You can put the container on a melter plate to use the last of the fragrance if desired. Remember: jars, tins, glasses, vessels, containers of any kind will be HOT!!! I know, it’s amazing some people don’t realize that fire is hot, but there’s always one. Thanks, Karen.